Thursday, January 28, 2010
Whether you're a hardcore sports fan or just in it for the commercials, no Super Bowl Sunday would be complete without friends, family, and of course food.
DECOR & MORE
A Super Bowl party is not the time to fuss over decorations. Just keep it simple and make it fun.
- The Beer Mug of Blooms from 1800flowers.com is perfect for a centerpiece or as an unexpected gift to send to a friend that you wish you were going to be watching the Super Bowl with. The bouquet is crafted with white mini carnations in an acrylic beer mug, with special acrylic rocks to symbolize your favorite brew.
- Turn your Super Bowl Party food table into a mini football field with a few inexpensive supplies and a little creativity. Stop by your local party store to pick up a grass print tablecloth, mini goal posts, mini footballs and players, and some football themed snack bowls. Once the tablecloth is laid out on your snack table, use white medical adhesive tape to create end zones and yard lines and place your mini goal posts at either end. For an extra special touch, print the team and Super Bowl logos off of the internet and tape them to their respective spots on the field. Top with your snack-filled serving bowls and mini footballs and enjoy!
- In need of some mood lighting? This 14' football lights set is available for just $10.95 at www.windycitynovelties.com.
- The concept of bathing deep fried chicken wings in peppery hot sauce was born in 1964 at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York. Upon the unannounced, late-night arrival of their son, Dominic, with several of his friends from college, co-owner Teressa Belissimo needed a fast and easy snack to present to her hungry guests. It was then that she came up with the idea of deep frying chicken wings (normally thrown away or reserved for stock) and tossing them in cayenne hot sauce. The boys raved so much about the hot wings, that the Bellissimos put them on the menu the next day.
- When shopping for chicken wings, always buy the highest quality you can find - it's worth it! Estimate that each Super Bowl guest will eat between 10-12 wings for a meal or 5-7 wings as an appetizer. This should insure that you have enough wings to go around.
- If you like your wings to be crispy on the outside and don't have a deep fryer, toss them in your favorite wing sauce and then bake them on a grill or rack-like device (so the fat is dripping away) until the sauce has firmed a bit. Then brush on a little oil and broil them with the skin side up until crispy.
- Once your wings are cooked, toss them again in your favorite wing sauce or give one of our favorites a try:
- Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce: Mix with melted butter for a strong vinegar cayenne bite.
- Rizzotti's Gourmet Wing Sauce: A "gourmet" garlic and Parmesan wing sauce. The Parmesan is a delectable addition for your taste buds and thickens the sauce so it sticks perfectly to the wings.
-Defcon 2: Received a 2006 First Place Scovie for Best Wing Sauce. Great flavor and heat balance in a sauce that sticks nicely to the wings.
WHAT WOULD THE SUPER BOWL BE WITHOUT A FRIENDLY WAGER?
Betting on which team will win the Super Bowl makes watching the game that much more exciting, but if you really want to up the fun, go with a prop bet instead. The term "prop bet" is short for "proposition bet," and involves placing wagers on certain details of the game.
Create your own questions or copy and paste the prop bet game sheet below and print out copies for your guests to fill out before the game begins. You can play for money or just for bragging rights. Before the game begins, designate one person to collect and score the game sheets (each correct answer is worth 10 points) and provide players with a status report at halftime.
1. Coin toss?
2. Category of first commercial after the coin toss?
2. Length of National Anthem (Clock starts as soon as the first note is sung and stops when the last note is sung)?
Over 1 minute 50 seconds
Under 1 minute 50 seconds
3. First team to score?
New Orleans Saints
4. Jersey number of the player to score the first touchdown?
5. Result of the first Coaches Challenge?
6. What song will The Who sing to begin the Halftime Show?
Who Are You
Won't Get Fooled Again
7. What time will the 3rd Quarter begin? _______________
8. Which quarter of play will produce the most total points?
9. Who will the MVP of the game thank first?
Doesn't thank anyone
10. The winning team's final score?
Tie Breaker Question:
Colts Final Score + Saints Final Score = __________________
details by Kelly Miller is a Philadelphia-based event consulting company specializing in weddings, corporate events, and social events. From invitations to entertainment, we'll help you create an unforgettable event that suits your style and your budget.
Visit www.detailsbykellymiller.com for more information.