Despite their hard work, mothers only get one day a year to call their own. This May 8th, show mom that you care and appreciate all she’s done with these fun Mother’s Day ideas.
How to Guide: Arranging Flowers like a Pro
Moms LOVE flowers. Treating your mom to a professional looking flower arrangement needn’t break the bank – or your patience – with these simple tips.
2. Next, choose flowers and greens that are seasonal and local. Select a variety of different textures and pick colors that blend well together.
3. Trim at least an inch off all the stems. Ideally, the height of your tallest flower should be no more than one and half times the height of your container. For a clean cut, it's best to snip stems with garden clippers or a sharp knife. When you use scissors to trim flowers, the stems can crack causing the blooms to die soon after.
4. Layer, layer, layer. Start with your greenery. Crisscross your greens in your container until you’ve built a tight, even base that will hold the flowers up.
5. Add your flowers in odd groupings, like three or five of the same flower dispersed throughout the arrangement, for a more balanced feel. Place flowers at different levels and not all facing forward to give depth and to lend interest to the design.
6. Use small flowers or greens to fill in any gaps in your arrangement.
7. Once your arrangement is complete, fill your container about an inch from the top with lukewarm water and place it in a cool place until it is time to present it to your mom. She’ll be so impressed!
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
What do you get a mom who seemingly has everything? When choosing a gift, always keep in mind her personality, taste, and interests.
- Does your mom love to cook? She’ll love the Demy Kitchen Safe Touchscreen Recipe Reader. The Demy holds your personal recipe collection in one sleek, compact device and features a high-resolution color touchscreen and special tools to make any cook’s job easier.
- Does your mom hate to cook? Spoil her with the “Dinner of the Month Club.” With this gourmet gift, you can enroll your mom in a three, six, or twelve month membership for a complete Italian-themed gourmet meal that includes a specialty pasta, premium pasta sauce, and one additional gourmet item that will all be delivered right to her door. Can it get any better? Check out the other club options on www.amazingclubs.com.
- Mothers love to cherish memories! If you are crafty, create a family scrapbook for mom that includes old pictures as well as new pictures and any keepsake items you can find. Add a page honoring "Mom's Unique Qualities" that depicts her wonderfully one-of-a-kind personality traits and interests.
- If your mom has a green thumb, get her exotic flower seeds or upscale gardening accessories, like a gel kneeling pad, monogrammed gardening gloves, or ergonomic hand tools.
- Does your mom have a cause or charity that’s dear to her heart? Spend time together while doing good for others. Volunteer with your mom at her church or a local homeless shelter. Or sign up for a charity run/walk like the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, held every year in Philadelphia on Mother’s Day.
Signature Drink: Blushing Lady
The Blushing Lady is a delightful cocktail for all the hardworking mothers to enjoy on Mother’s Day!
1 ounce PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur
2 ounces premium vodka
1 ounce pink grapefruit juice
Rub a wedge of lemon around the rim of a martini glass and dip the glass into a plate of coarse sugar. Set it aside. Pour the remaining ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into the garnished martini glass. Garnish with coarse sugar.
A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~ Tenneva Jordan
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ~Author Unknown